Knotmeter - September 19, 2013
Knotmeter - September 19, 2013
Women in Wind Annual General Meeting
Thursday September 19th @5:30 PM
Please RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch America's Cup at KYC
Come down to KYC to watch all of the America's Cup action on TV. We will be watching it on the big screen (either via cable TV or streaming over the internet where available).
Full Schedule is available here: americascup.com/en/schedules/races
(add 3 hours to convert back to Eastern Time)
Check the front page of the KYC website for the latest viewing
Paul Davis to compete in Soling Worlds
KYC's Paul Davis will be competing in the Soling Worlds being held on Lake Balaton, Hungary September 19-25. We wish Paul good luck at the regatta – last time he sailed in the Soling World's, he brought home Gold! Follow the results here: http://soling.com/results/ShowResults.asp?ID=783
Calling on all KYC families with children and grandchildren – we’d like to know what we can do to make your family experience at KYC a better one. Is there stuff we can do? Are there things we can have on hand? Activities or events you’d like to see offered? Facilities you’d like to see in place? We’re ready and willing to hear all your ideas, so please send them along to email@example.com
David McCallum Retirement Party
Evening of Saturday, October 26th
Save the date!
Details to come.
Upcoming Events at KYC Sept 19 Women in Wind - AGM @ 5:30 Sept 26 Last Weeknight Race Sept 27 Last day of Patio Menu (bar remains open) Oct 5-6 Queen's Open Oct 12-14 Thanksgiving Cruise to Jemmett's Landing Oct 18-20 Queen's Sailing Team Nationals Oct 26 David McCallum Retirement Party Oct 30 Cradles Unloaded Nov 2 Mast De-stepping Nov 3 Haulout Nov 9 Awards Night Nov 28 Annual General Meeting For a complete list of upcoming events please visit:www.kingstonyachtclub.ca/calendar
- The Board has engaged Shoreplan Engineering to provide a complete assessment of all of KYC’s underwater infrastructure. This includes the breakwater, gabions, center dock, and club house foundations. This will provide the board with both the cost and options for addressing the center dock as part of the Harbour Redevelopment project, as well as provide accurate information about the condition of all other underwater aspects of the club for long term planning. You may see a professional dive team at the club performing the underwater inspection and documentation of everything from the gas dock to the East to the Maitland Street beach at the West.
- The Board has approved Revision 6 (as posted below) to move forward with the development of an RFP for tendering. This revision increases harbour entrance widths, and entrance channel widths, and includes additional enhancements for swimming and JS launch.
- We have two wave pressure sensors placed in the new waterlot area to measure actual wave conditions that the new attenuator and docks will have to deal with. This is a project being carried out by KYC in conjunction with Ryan Mulligan, a coastal engineer at Queen’s University. The data collected will be submitted to potential suppliers in order to ensure that solutions will provide the desired level of wave attenuation. The sensors will be extracted and replaced for an additional two months into the Fall to further collect data for the stronger winds more common at that time of year.
- We have engaged an Electrical Engineering firm to provide an assessment as well as design and costing for upgrading the club electrical infrastructure. This is needed to supply an expanded harbour with proper electrical service as well as to upgrade aging electrical systems for the club house, gas dock, and Saints Rest.
- A Parking study is now underway. We will be evaluating our current parking availability, requirements, and how parking may change with an expanded harbour. We are exploring various options to improve and/or increase on site parking, we will work with the city to explore options to increase city parking in the vicinity of the club.
The new design and complete background on the New Harbour project can be found here:
Feedback is welcome, and should be submitted by emailing:
Families Needed for KYC Photoshoot
Be a star on the new website! We have teamed up with a professional photographer to take some action shots of members enjoying the club. We are looking for families who would be interested in having their photos used in KYC promotional material.
Please contact Matt White if you are firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Update Your Address Book
KYC is retiring the email@example.com email address.
The main address for the Kingston Yacht Club is firstname.lastname@example.org
Please update your address book accordingly.
Updated Fall Hours of Operation
Please note the Bar, Kitchen and Gas Dock are now operating on Fall Hours:
Hours of Operation
† Special events schedule will determine weekly office schedule for Saturday, Sunday & Monday
Bar Kitchen Gas Dock Office Monday 11a - 9p 11:30a -8p 9a-5p Variable† Tuesday 11a - 9p 11:30a -8p 9a-5p 9a-5p Wednesday 11a - 9p 11:30a -8p 9a-5p 9a-5p Thursday 11a - 9p 11:30a -8p 9a-5p 9a-5p Friday 11a - 9p 11:30a -8p 9a-5p 9a-5p Saturday 11a - 9p 11:30a -8p 9a-5p Variable† Sunday 11a - 9p 11:30a -8p 9a-5p Variable†
For more information on other KYC events and programs please visit our website. www.kingstonyachtclub.ca